Master the Art of the Synopsis
Learn How to Create a Versatile Sales Tool
Are you ready to put your novel out into the world?
If you’re preparing to query literary agents or editors—or even to self-publish your novel—you’re going to need to write a synopsis of your manuscript.
I’m Nephele Tempest, a long-time literary agent with The Knight Agency, and I’ve been reading—and writing—synopses for nearly two decades. A strong synopsis can serve as an effective sales tool that convinces someone to take that leap and read your manuscript. But what makes a strong synopsis?
In this course, you will learn:
- What two major mistakes many writers make when writing a synopsis of their novel.
- How to easily breakdown the process of writing a synopsis into manageable chunks.
- The details to include in your synopsis, and what you should leave out.
- Tricks for adjusting the length of your synopsis, if you need to meet a specific request from an agent or editor.
- How your synopsis can help you spot potential structural issues with your manuscript.
Includes a workbook to help guide you through the writing process, and sample synopses to illustrate the step-by-step breakdown of writing the synopsis and adjusting it for your specific needs.
Remember: A weak synopsis might keep an agent or editor from ever reading your manuscript. Learn to write an intriguing, compelling synopsis today.
Nephele Tempest joined The Knight Agency as a literary agent in 2005, opening the Los Angeles-area office. In addition to helping her clients to develop their careers, she often teaches and leads workshops at both virtual and in-person writing events. Also a freelance writer, she typically has a secret project in the works.
Preview1 When and Why Do You Need a Synopsis (4:30)
Start2 Getting Started (8:44)
Start3 Breaking Down the Synopsis (8:07)
Start4 Assembling a Short Synopsis (8:57)
Start5 Example-Building a Short Synopsis Step by Step (18:39)
Start6 Writing the Full-Length Synopsis (7:01)
Start7 Writing on Proposal (12:03)
Start8 Fiction that Doesn't Fit the Mold (5:17)